North Rhine-Westphalia Business Guide: FAQs
The following frequently asked questions (FAQs) relate to investment issues, organizational and legal aspects, plus the funding opportunities available in North Rhine-Westphalia.
With a single mouse click you can find out how obtain a visa, set up a limited liability company, apply for investment grants/loans, etc.
- Who needs a visa?
- What type of visa do I need to establish a business?
- What business activities can I carry out with a Schengen visa?
- What documents do I need when applying for a Schengen visa?
- Which requirements must I fulfill to obtain a residence permit for the purpose of self-employment?
- How do I obtain a residence permit as an employee?
- What type of residence permit do I require as an employee temporarily posted to Germany?
- Where can I apply for a visa and what documents do I require?
- Can my family accompany me to Germany?
- What legal types of company exist in Germany?
- What is a corporation and which legal forms exist?
- How do I establish a Limited Liability Company (GmbH)?
- What are the defining characteristics of a Stock Corporation (AG)?
- What criteria must I fulfill when establishing a Partnership Limited by Shares (KGaA)?
- What is a Business Partnership and what different types exist?
- What is a Civil Law Partnership (GbR)?
- For whom is a General Commercial Partnership (oHG) best suited?
- What are the advantages of a Limited Partnership (KG)?
- What are the defining features of a GmbH & Co. KG?
- What are Branch Offices and what forms do they take?
- How and where can I register my company?
- What information is available in the Commercial Register?
- Who has to be entered in the Commercial Register?
- What is the procedure for obtaining an entry in the Commercial Register?
- Why must I register my business with the Trade Office?
- How do I register my business?
- Must I open a business bank account in Germany?
- What regulations apply to capital transfers to and from Germany?
- What regulations apply to the import and export of goods and machinery into/from Germany?
- How are companies taxed in Germany?
- What taxes are corporations subject to?
- What taxes are partnerships subject to?
- What taxes are trade enterprises subject to?
- How high is Value Added Tax in Germany?
- What taxes are owners of real property subject to?
- What types of tax deduction are available?
- Do I have to submit annual tax returns?
- What customs duties are levied on imported goods?
- What customs procedures apply?
- How do I submit a customs declaration?
- What documents do I require for a customs declaration?
- What import restrictions apply in Germany?
- How can I recruit staff for my company?
- What employment models are there in Germany?
- What basic terms and conditions govern employment contracts?
- How are wages and salaries determined in Germany?
- What working hours apply in Germany?
- What legal provisions and notification periods apply to termination of employment?
- What does a Works Council do?
- What are the defining features of the German social security system?
- What laws/regulations are the most relevant to foreign business enterprises?
- How is Germany’s judicial system structured?
- How is intellectual property protected in Germany?
- How do I apply for a patent in Germany?
- How can I protect my trade mark?
- What laws govern planning and construction in Germany?
- How do I obtain a building permit?
- What is an emission control permit?
Events & News
Visit us at the joint stand of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia in hall B5 | stand 102-103/202
Links & Downloads
Discover NRW: Interactive Map
Discover the advantages of Germany's No. 1 investment location on the interactive map!