The automotive industry in NRW
North Rhine-Westphalia is one of the key centers of the German automotive industry. A broad spectrum of auto enterprises operate in NRW – ranging from major globally operating carmakers to small and medium-sized component suppliers and electromobility specialists. These SMEs in particular are in a position to respond flexibly to changing market requirements and initiate new technical developments for cross-industry applications.
|...that the Ford car plant in Cologne is one of the most modern and productive of its kind in Europe?||...that the Bochum-built "Solar <br />World GT" vehicle travelled around the world in 414 days powered solely by the sun?||...that North Rhine-Westphalia is a central location for Germany’s automotive supply industry?|
- The automotive industry in NRW consists of 800 enterprises with a total workforce in excess of 200,000.
- One third of Germany’s automotive component suppliers are located in NRW.
- With an export ratio of around 63 percent, the automotive industry is the industry with the second highest export share in NRW.
- In the core area of the automotive industry, vehicle construction, NRW occupies 2nd place with 235 companies behind Baden-Württemberg with 306 companies, but ahead of Bavaria with 212.
- NRW ranks among the top three German states in terms of both new registrations and stock of purely battery-powered vehicles.
Promoting new technology
The innovative strength of the automotive sector in NRW benefits from the close collaboration between industry and applied research establishments. The South Westphalian Automotive Center, for example, provides a platform for R&D activities, engineering services and knowledge transfer between automotive manufacturers, suppliers and university institutes. NRW has significant potential in the area of electromobility – thanks also to the three centers of competence in Aachen, Dortmund and Münster. Together with 80 technology partners, scientists at RWTH Aachen University have developed the innovative electrically powered "Street Scooter" with a range of 130 kilometers and a top speed of 120 kilometers per hour. Deutsche Post DHL has assumed responsibility for this project and is deploying around 3,400 "Street Scooters" for its day-to-day parcel and mail delivery operations.
Automotive enterprises in NRW
The automotive industry in NRW consists of major international corporations as well as small and medium-sized component suppliers.
|Daimler AG||Ford-Werke GmbH||e.GO Mobile||StreetScooter|
|Kautex Textron||Leopold Kostal||Rheinmetall||ThyssenKrupp|
Events & News
Links & Downloads
Interactive map of NRW
Discover the advantages of Germany's No. 1 investment location on the interactive map.