The healthcare industry in NRW
The healthcare industry in North Rhine-Westphalia is a prime mover for growth and innovation. North Rhine-Westphalian enterprises figure prominently on the international stage, above all in the medical engineering sector. The pharmaceuticals industry with its numerous global players is a defining feature of the healthcare industry in NRW. Close cooperation between science and industry is a key success factor. Six university hospitals plus numerous non-university research establishments not only maintain scientific excellence but also provide state-of-the-art training for tomorrow's healthcare professionals.
|… that the world's smallest artificial heart was developed in Aachen?||… that the HAL exoskeleton suit developed by Cyberdyne Care Robotics GmbH enhances the mobility of people with physical disabilities?|
- More than 1.3 million people are employed in the healthcare sector in NRW.
- Between March 2009 and December 2015 around 184,000 new jobs were created in the NRW healthcare sector.
- Around 200 medical technology companies (the majority of which are SMEs) generate sales of nearly €1 billion.
- 352 hospitals, nearly 26,000 registered doctors and 145 preventive care and rehabilitation centers constitute a gigantic market for healthcare products and services.
- In NRW there are around 4,400 pharmacies, nearly 2,400 outpatient care providers and over 2,450 nursing homes.
- Nine Fraunhofer Institutes, five Max Planck Institutes and five Leibniz Institutes are engaged in research in the healthcare and life science sectors.
- In terms of healthcare expenditure North Rhine-Westphalia is the largest single market in Germany.
World's largest medical trade show takes place in NRW: MEDICA
Every year around 130,000 professionals gather at MEDICA – the World Forum for Medicine – which focuses on medical technology, electro-medicine, laboratory equipment, diagnostics and medical products. Approx. 60 percent of the attendees in 2016 came from outside Germany. More than 5,000 exhibitors focused on the latest trends and showcased products, processes and services for the complete spectrum of inpatient and outpatient care.
Healthcare enterprises in NRW
The healthcare industry in NRW encompasses large international corporations as well as highly specialized SMEs. Their activities focus on pharmaceuticals, life science and medical engineering:
|3M||Bayer HealthCare||Brasseler||Dr. August Wolff Arzneimittel|
|Janssen-Cilag||Kabe Labortechnik||MEDICE Arzneimittel Pütter||Medifa|
|Medtronic||Roeser Medical||Sarstedt||UCB Pharma|
Events & News
Links & Downloads
North Rhine-Westphalia at a glance
Discover the location advantages of NRW on the interactive map