Logistics in NRW
Thanks to an ideal set of conditions, the logistics industry is among the fastest growing business sectors in North Rhine-Westphalia. NRW ranks as one of Europe's major transportation hubs. The direct links with the Belgian and Dutch seaports and the dense transport network make NRW the leading logistics location in Europe. The volume of air freight is expanding continuously. Well-developed inland waterways offer direct access to destinations throughout Europe. Via the new Betuwe freight railroad NRW is now connected directly to Rotterdam, Europe's largest seaport.
|... that every UPS parcel that leaves or arrives in Europe passes through Cologne-Bonn Airport?||... that all the European capitals are within 3 hours' flight time from NRW?||... that the world's largest inland port, Duisport, is located in NRW?|
- 27,800 logistics enterprises with a total of 314,000 employees generate sales of €70 billion.
- Including the logistics activities within trade and industry, the sector employs a combined workforce in excess of 615,000.
- Six airports offer direct flights to 400 destinations. Two of these airports – Düsseldorf and Cologne-Bonn – also serve intercontinental destinations.
- Via the dense network of freeways (total length: 2,200 kilometers) every major town and city in NRW is connected directly to the European expressway system.
- Measuring 6,000 kilometers in length, NRW has the densest railroad network in Germany.
- 226 kilometers of the River Rhine, one of the world's busiest waterways, flow through NRW.
- Every year the world's largest inland port in Duisburg handles around 69 million tons of freight via ship, rail and road.
Networks – Innovation transfer for a successful future
Under the umbrella of "EffizienzCluster LogistikRuhr" more than 160 companies and 12 research institutes are in the process of developing new logistics technologies. The state cluster for logistics ("LogistikCluster NRW") has created specific platforms for logistics-related issues and promotes the practical application of research findings. The Fraunhofer Institute for Material Flow and Logistics (IML) in Dortmund is one of the world's largest research facilities in the field of logistics.
Logistics enterprises in NRW
Numerous logistics enterprises and global players already reap the benefits of North Rhine-Westphalia as a business location. In NRW they operate distribution centers and manage their national and international merchandise flows:
|IKEA||Kühne + Nagel||QVC||Rhenus|
|Schenker||Seacon Logistics||TK Max||TNT|
Logistics at its best: North Rhine-Westphalia
Events & News
Visit us at the NRW joint stand Hall B1 | Stand 321 in Munich.
Links & Downloads
NRW at a glance
Discover the advantages of NRW as a business location on the interactive map.